A routine is a plan of action that help you reach a certain goal. Routines do not need to be long or complicated. In fact, the simpler the routine, the more likely it is that you will actually follow through with it on a regular basis. Developing a good dental routine is important if you want to keep your teeth for life. Cavities, decay, gum disease, and tooth loss do not happen in a day. They are the result of not having a good dental routine in place and not putting it into practice.
Here are 5 simple steps that you can implement to protect your smile.
- Floss daily. Flossing is the most important at-home step in your dental routine. Floss is the only tool specifically designed to clean the tight spaces between your teeth. Toothbrush bristles cannot reach these spaces, so if you are only brushing your teeth, you are leaving a good portion of your smile dirty. Flossing daily removes plaque and builds up between the teeth each day.
- Brush at least twice a day. Brushing your teeth loosens and removes plaque from the surfaces of the teeth. It is important to brush with a fluoride toothpaste to help protect the teeth from cavities and decay. Brushing is also a benefit to your breath, keeping it fresh and pleasant for social and professional situations.
- Rinse your toothbrush after every use. As the toothbrush brushes away plaque from the teeth, some of the plaque becomes trapped in the bristles. Rinsing your toothbrush after every use under fast, running water helps to rinse away lingering bacteria. It is also important to store your toothbrush in an upright position so that it air-dries quickly.
- Replace your toothbrush often. Even with good rinsing, bacteria will begin to multiply on your toothbrush over time. It is recommended that you replace your toothbrush every 3-6. If you have ever wondered why you receive a new toothbrush every time you visit the dentist, it is because your dentist understands that you need a clean tool for cleaning your teeth.
- Visit the dentist regularly. While what you do at home on a daily basis is important, visiting the dentist twice a year is essential. Professional cleanings and exams are necessary for promoting optimal oral health and identifying any areas of concern early, before they begin damaging your smile.
At Cane Bay Family Dentistry, we encourage you to develop and implement a good dental routine. Contact us today to schedule your next cleaning.
1724 State Rd, #4D
Summerville, SC 29483